The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

What Layfette St Really Was in History

The historical background of Layfette St and The Foot

Before spring break there was a presentation given at Lincoln open to the public about the black history of the “foot”. For those of you who don’t know the foot is the primary area that they have Lincoln’s parade attractions during Lincoln’s homecoming. In This presentation it spoke a lot about the many different aspects and roles of the foot. When Lincoln has all of the food trucks, t-shirt stands, music, and other attractions at the foot it is to represent all of the fun, powerful and astounding people who lived there and their businesses. The Foot was a black community in Jefferson City where all of the African Americans would be themselves away from segregation, and racism going on in Jefferson City. 

The foot was also really the only place in Jefferson City where African Americans could get service. But outside of the foot in the presentation it explained how it was a complete opposite world for them. They had to lie by different sets of rules, and regulations to stay safe and out of the way outside of the foot. The food was such a blessing for African Americans because it allowed them everything and more and gave them hope to think that everything wasn’t all bad. Even soldiers prioritized the foot during the Civil war. They would come down to the foot to see their families and hangout down in the foot.  

The presentation also had some Lincoln locals who remember how the foot meant to them and their families. One of the people was Patsy Johson saying “It brought people together.” And others say many different things about the foot being a second home and a safe place. The foot really had many different attractions. A couple main ones were the Booker T hotel which had many different things like music, food, and a club below with a hotel room above. Another main attraction being a barber shop in the foot that was the last building to come down during urban renewal. There were also several houses that were “community moms” that would look out for you, take you to church, make sure you weren’t a bother to anyone, and overall keep you in check. This was a huge community that was stripped from the black community in Jefferson City. Which we could need now.

So when you’re riding down Lafayette Street just try to acknowledge the history and hide that whole street and the hard work that was brought into so many things besides work into the community.  

If you would like to learn more about The Foot, click the link.