Categories:

CCHS Theater Upcoming Production: Hadestown

The theater season is gearing up… let’s check in with the black box crew.

The 2024-25 theater season is starting up, and the cast has been set! Capital City High School is one of the first schools in the state to put on this marvelous musical– come see what it’s all about!

What is Hadestown?

Hadestown is a modern musical based on the Greek mythological story of Orpheus and Eurydice. The first edition of the musical was performed initially in 2006 but started on Broadway in 2019.

Set in an industrial version of Hades’ underworld and narrated by Hermes, the story is set from the beginning to be a tragedy but takes you along for the ride with its charm.

What roles are in this production? Who plays who?

There are eight principal roles, plus a chorus.

Orpheus – Played by Venus Blase

Orpheus, a young bard- is a demigod working on a song to bring the seasons back into tune. He was taken under Hermes’ wing and his naive, optimistic demeanor leads him to realize many things.

Eurydice – Played by Dakiah Langford

Eurydice is a young, independent, jaded girl who becomes vulnerable during Hadestown’s harsh seasons. Unexpectedly, she falls in love with Orpheus, and the musical follows their story.

Hermes – Played by Nicole Ike

Hermes is the adoptive father of Orpheus, taking him in after his parents abandoned him. He is the story’s narrator, a messenger- guiding Orpheus throughout the story.

Hades – Played by Ryder Flower

Hades is the “big boss” of Hadestown, surprisingly enough. He is jealous, capitalistic, and cruel- but it’s mostly because he wishes to keep Persephone longer- despite the cruel change of seasons. Hades creates an industrial plant for her, persuading her to stay.

Persephone – Played by Vivianna Paynter

Persephone is the bringer of spring and seasons- following the myth. In the musical, though, she’s becoming tired of her husband’s behavior and uses wine to cope. She empathizes with the two young lovers, pleading with Hades to give them a chance.

The Fates – Played by Parker Love, Avery Anderson, and Natalie Wilson

The Three Fates seem to taunt the characters, but they reflect the character’s emotions through their song.

Workers – Moriah Charles, Dustyn Doss, Liam Rapier, Daphne Starnes, Mia Meyers, Shyann Braman, Eddie Odneal, Sol Andrade, Anusha Bichkar, Ellie Harris and Gabrielle Singh

The Workers are a chorus of Hades’ trapped souls, forced to work for an eternity under his hand. They gain hope when they learn of Orpheus and Eurydice’s story, and hope that they too can escape one day.

Capital City High School’s Hadestown opens on November 21, 2024! Come see the myth turned musical!

Donate to The Plume
$20
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Capital City High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.