Student Feature: Meet Ria from Taiwan

Remi Taniguchi

Did you know that there are multiple exchange students currently enrolled at CCHS? Meet Ria! Originally from Taiwan, Ria is here for the school year! The following is an interview with Ria:

Why did you decide to come here?

“When I was in junior high school, I wanted to go to other countries to improve my English skills.”

How long was your flight?

“From Taiwan to LA, it took me about 13 hours and from  LA to Missouri, it took me about 3 hours. Total flight time was 16 hours.”

What is the time difference between Taiwan and the United States?

“13 hours.”

Have your English skills improved?

“Yes. But I think that I have to try something more.”

What has been the hardest thing in your exchange student life?

“My suitcases just got lost in the LA International Airport, and it took me about two weeks to get them back.”

What is the best thing in your exchange student life?

“I like the school, because we used to get to school before 7:30 in the morning. The school here starts late but finishes early, so I can have more time to do my stuff!”

How did/do you make friends?

“I’m not one to talk to new people first, but because I just came here a few weeks ago, I ask many questions to my classmates because there are a lot of things that I don’t understand. Then we just start to have some chat after that, and even have lunch together.”

What is your favorite class?

“Girls PE. Because I enjoy playing sports pretty much.”

How did you learn English before coming here?

“We have to take the normal English class in our school. It includes writing, speaking, and listening, but that

’s not enough to speak well, so I joined the courses that can have the conversation with foreigners to improve my English ability.”

What is your dream?

“I hope I can become an ambassador in the future. I would like to study here if I have the chance 

because I want to improve my English and also have some experiences from different countries.”

How brave of her to leave her home county and live in a foreign county. Can you imagine living without your family and friends abroad where your home language isn’t spoken? I guess it is a stressful thing for her, and I would like to support her who is struggling to improve her English skills. When you see Ria, say hello!