FAFSA And What You Need To Know

Yumia Robben

For many students fall is a stressful time of year. Seniors, in particular, may be overwhelmed with the next step after graduation and the cost that comes with it. The FAFSA is a great resource for students to avoid taking out as many loans as possible. Below is some basic information to assist you in Filing for FAFSA. 

What Is FASFA?

FASFA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Billions of dollars are granted each year to students based on their family’s income from the previous year. Several colleges utilize FASFA to determine how much financial aid you will receive.

What do I need to fill out the FASFA?

-Social Security Number

-Federal Income tax returns, W-2, and other documentation of money earned (From custodial parents)

-FSA ID (can be created online)

Who should fill out the FASFA?

Everyone! Millions of dollars are left untouched each year due to students simply not filling out the FASFA. For many work study programs, the FASFA is necessary.

How do I fill it out?

Most people utilize the online method for it convenience but, there is a mail-in option. When filling out the form a parent or guardian should assist.

Deadlines?

The Federal deadline is June 30, 2023. Take into consideration the colleges you’re applying to and their deadlines as well.

How can I get help?

Capital City will be hosting a FAFSA Frenzy on October 19th from 4:30-6:30. There will be free professional assistance from financial aid advisers. These advisors come from colleges all over Missouri!

All the tasks that you may have on your plate for the rest of the year are most definitely overwhelming. Take a deep breath and relax. As daunting as applying for colleges and financial aid may be, one way or another you’ll end up in the school that is best for you!