Field Trips: Reasons to Bring Them Back

Rylea Sanning

Remember in elementary school, and bringing home those permission slips to get signed for the field trip? Those were the days–days when field trips were a plenty.

High schoolers don’t always get as many chances to go on field trips like to the park, or museums, but wouldn’t it be cool if high schools got to join in on multiple fun field trips during the school year?

In my opinion, it is important in high school that students experience various different learning approaches to better their understanding of what they’re learning. Field trips are a key factor that teachers should consider adding into their lesson plans. Field trips give students the opportunity to use their senses, experience, and hands-on learning outside of the normal classroom setting, making educational insight more fun and memorable.

Examples of educational field trips include a science class going to a natural area, history classes going to museums where students can observe historical artifacts that may have been discussed during history class, or an English class going to see a movie that was adapted from a book. Acquiring education through these journeys can allow students to learn the information more thoroughly and remember it for longer.

While field trips are great for all students, they are most important for high school students. They allow students to engage while improving their observation skills with captivating activities. Being in high school is a time for young adult minds to learn valuable life skills from professionals and companies.

Though they are very beneficial for students, field trips are not the first priority for some school districts. Many trips can be cost-prohibitive for students and the school districts may feel that it is not worth the disruption and time. Despite this, the new skills and competence that students gain on a field trip are worth the trouble.  There are also virtual field trips would be another alternative for schools.

In all field trips in high school are very beneficial and could help students a lot with hands-on learning and getting more in debt of what they are learning, it may be harder to plan and execute because we are in high school and have seven different classes a day, but trying to get your students out in the real world to apply what they have learned is very helpful.