The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Thanksgiving Throughout the Years

How has Thanksgiving evolved through the years?

Thanksgiving Throughout the Years        

The year is 1621, a crisp autumn day, English settlers mark a successful harvest and cook a meal for the Wampanoag Indians. The tradition starts in Plymouth Massachusetts, where the first Pilgrims arrive from the Old World. Thanksgiving becomes known as a peaceful symbol for hundreds of years between old and new settlers alike. Although peace did not last for long, the tradition offers a time and place to be thankful and for some, a day of mourning.
Today we look back on how Thanksgiving has evolved throughout the years. The 400 year old tradition has little in common with the gathering at Plymouth, but we still celebrate it today, mostly with food. As the tradition evolved throughout the years we can see the different meanings it has taken.

1700s

Thanksgiving was a fairly common tradition to practice. It was a day focused on praying and fasting and eventually led to harvest celebrations.

Documentations: Thanksgiving history, from the Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving to the strange way turkey day became a holiday - Click Americana
On December 18th, 1777, to celebrate a victory of American Continental forces over the British, the commander in chief: George Washington called for the day to be set aside to celebrate Thanksgiving. That was the first time the united 13 colonies celebrated the tradition. Later on in 1789, Washington implemented the tradition as a national holiday(unofficial) as a day for prayer of gratitude at the end of the Revolutionary War.

What they ate:Authentic 18th-Century Thanksgiving Dinner | Rocky Hill, CT Patch Colonists might have eaten venison pie, puddings, vegetables, seafood, squash, beans, or roasted goose. Turkey’s were acceptable, but were not a very popular dish.

1800s

Thanksgiving caught on by storm and was celebrated widely. It was a day for family and friends to pray and worship around the dinner table and to enjoy a bountiful harvest.

Documentations: Old Thanksgiving Traditions We Don't Do AnymoreIn November 1846, Sarah Josepha Hale campaigned for Thanksgiving to become an official national holiday. She was an editor for the Gody’s Lady’s Book and tried to convince US Presidents to make Thanksgiving official. Later on, Hale’s letters finally got heard and the current US President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed that the last Thursday of November to become Thanksgiving Holiday. As the country was torn apart by the Civil War, this proclamation gave away time to Americans so they can celebrate with loved ones. In 1876, America played its first Thanksgiving Football Game.

What they ate: Thanksgivings Past: Old Holiday Menus | Live ScienceEarly Americans ate stuffed roasted turkey, chicken stuffed, chicken pie, potatoes, gravy, apple and cranberry sauce, oyster sauce, onions, squash, and bread. Turkey rose in popularity in the New England meal.

1900s

Thanksgiving is a very well known holiday and is widely celebrated throughout England and America.

Documentations: Historic photos of Thanksgiving dinner over the decades | lovefood.com
On November 27th, 1924, NewYork City held the first Macy’s Day Parade which included live animals from the Central Park Zoo, later replaced by balloons. On November 19, 1963, JFK pardoned the first Thanksgiving turkey. Later on, George W. Bush began the annual tradition of the President officially pardoning a turkey on Thanksgiving day.

What they ate: The Real History Of Thanksgiving | Wilstar.com
During the 1900s Americans ate a variety of food and desserts, including pumpkin pie, cranberries, tomato soup, roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, onions in cream, and coffee.

2000s

Thanksgiving is a national holiday, time taken off to spend with family and friends over a large dinner. 

The Annual Pardoning of the Thanksgiving TurkeyThe Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade In The 2000s Was Pure Perfection