The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

New Movie Releases 2024

With 2024 coming up in less than a month, dozens of movies plan to be released! This list of upcoming movies are sequels, remakes, or even just brand-new movies coming out. Get ready because this is a long list of movies!

The Mean Girls Musical – This up-and-coming musical stars Renne Rapp as Regina George and Angourie Rice as Cady Heron. The musical soon to be released is based on the original movie which was released back in 2004 and starred Lindsay Lohan as Cady Heron and Rachel McAdams as Regina George. If you haven’t watched the original movie, it’s about the main character, Cady Heron, who left her home in Africa with her family to move to Illinois. She goes to a public school for the first time where she winds up getting herself stuck in a shallow prep group called “The Plastics.” The Mean Girls musical is set to open in theaters on January 12th, 2024.

Dune: Part Two – This movie will be a sequel to the Original Dune movie that was released in 2021. The current description of this movie to release is (of course) a continuation of the first movie where Paul Atreides unites with Chani and Fremen while he seeks to find the people who destroyed his family. While he has to choose between the fate of the universe or his love life, he MUST prevent a future he can foresee. This exciting sequel is set to release on March 1st.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire – This new Ghostbusters movie will be the 7th movie in the Ghostbusters series, starring Paul Rudd, Finn Wolfhard, and Mckenna Grace. This movie is about the Spengler family that returns to the city of New York firehouse where the original Ghostbusters took ghost-busting to the next level. Then, a discovery of an ancient artifact unleashed a horrendous evil force. The new and old Ghostbusters come and unite together to save the world! This movie is set to release on March 29th.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes -Releasing on May 24th, staring Own Teague and Freya Allan, this movie will be the fourth movie in the reboot series which just continues the story of the very intelligent apes/monkeys descendants that navigate and explore their dominance on Earth. In this world, apes are the dominant species in place of humans who are now in the shadows.

Deadpool 3 – This movie will be a continuation (of course) of the very loved movie series: Deadpool, with the star of the show, Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool and Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine. In this third movie, while Wolverine is still healing from his injuries, and ends up running into Deadpool. Wolverine and Deadpool wind up working together to defeat their common enemy. This movie is set to release on July 26th.

Beetlejuice 2 – The original Beetlejuice movie was released back in 1988, and plans to have the original cast returning! Starring Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice and Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz. This movie will include a new character, Lydia Deetz’s daughter who’s played by Jenna Ortega. In summary, the story will be about the Deetz family moving to Hawaii and accidentally building a company over the burial ground of an ancient “Hawaiian Kahuna.” The spirit in this burial comes back to life and plans to cause trouble. Not to mention, Beetlejuice becomes a hero for winning a surfing contest. (He cheated by using magic.) Beetlejuice 2 is set to release on September 6th.

Transformers One – This upcoming Transformers movie is simply a continuation of the ongoing Transformers movie series that has been released over the years since 2007. Transformers One will be an animated prequel movie set on the planet Cybertron and plans to revolve around the relationship between Optimus Prime and Megatron; starring Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth. The movie will be in theaters on September 13th.

Terrifier 3 – This movie is an upcoming Christmas slasher film that’s about Art the Clown who releases absolute chaos on Christmas Eve. (It’s a very gory movie heads-up. By the way, this is the only summary I’ve been able to find on this movie.) Starring David Howard Thornton, this movie is set to release in theaters on October 25th.

Venom 3 – Releasing on November 8th, this movie will be the third Venom movie in the Venom trilogy. There’s not a lot known about the current movie specifics, but we do know Eddie Brock has returned to his own universe. People assume Venom had also traveled back with Eddie even though there was only a little Venom goo that was left behind at the MCU. Venom 3 is starring Tom Hardy, Avi Arad, and Amy Pascal.

Wicked Part 1 – Releasing November 27th, this movie is another perspective on the Wizard of Oz! The true heroine is cast as the “wicked witch.” The “wicked” witch ended up being a freedom fighter who battles against the mighty wizard for her homeland. This upcoming movie stars the popular singer Ariana Grande and includes Johnathan Bailey.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 – There isn’t a lot of information about this movie AT ALL that I can find. The 3rd Sonic the Hedgehog movie in the movie franchise is set to release on December 20th, which is VERY late in the year 2024. It’s simply a continuation of the past 2 movies. This animated movie stars Jim Carrey, Idris Elba, and Ben Schwartz as Sonic.

Despicable Me 4 – This movie plans to continue the story of the lives of Gru, his wife, along with their 3 adopted children. All we know so far is that they’re specifically going to be fighting against the Anti-Villain League together as a family. Despicable Me 4 will be coming out on July 3rd with the characters voiced by Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, and Steve Coogan.

Kung-fu Panda 4 – Po has to train a new warrior once he is chosen to be the Spiritual Leader of the Valley of Peace. That being said, a very powerful shape-shifter sorceress plans to steal Po’s Staff of Wisdom. Needing help, Po teams up with a “quick-witted” corsac fox. Po ends up realizing heroes can come from very unexpected places. Kung-Fu Panda 4 is set to release on March 8th including voice actor Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Seth Rogan, and more.

The Garfield Movie – There’s been lots of different things made about Garfield. Beginning as a comic strip around 1978, getting a movie in 2004, another movie in 2006, and then a TV show in 2009, Garflied is a widely known name and beloved cat who loves to eat. That being said, there’s a new animated Garfield movie that is set to release on May 24th. Garfield will be voiced by Chris Pratt and Nicholas Hoult as Jon Arbuckle.

Inside Out 2 – The original Inside Out movie released back in 2015, has a new long-awaited second film releasing on June 14th! The movie will be about Riley and her emotions encountering new emotions when Riley turns 13, such as anxiety, ennui, embarrassment, and envy. Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Fear, and Anger all aren’t sure how to feel about the new emotions and will work their way through Riley’s world with them. Inside Out 2 is set to release on June 14th, starring voice actors Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, and Lewis Black.