The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Reflecting on CCHS Theater’s “Our Town” Fall Performance

Looking forward to the spring play by looking back at the Fall performance.

As CCHS theater makes preparations for their spring performance of Singing in the Rain, it is only fitting that we look back on their fall performance of Our Town. There was never any doubt that under the direction of Mrs. LeCure, the CCHS Theater would give a great performance. However, the cast blew this performance out of the water and showed just how much work they put into this show. Our Town is a three-act play written by American playwright Thornton Wilder in 1938. It presents the fictional American town of Grover’s Corners between 1901 and 1913 through the everyday lives of its citizens. However, CCHS actors and actresses went above and beyond to make the role that they played come to life. While watching the play, I felt that I was looking at the people of Grover’s Corner and not the CCHS students that I walk by every day. 

While the audience thought that they would be coming to see a high school play, they did not realize that they would be getting a lesson of the importance of the value of life and the simple things that happen. The play not only focused on enjoying the basics of life but also on how fast someone can be taken by death. As each act went on, the characters developed more and more into real people and my feelings went out to them as they went through life and worked through hardship. However, at the end of the play, I don’t truly know if there was not a dry eye in the theater. 

As described by CCHS’s own, Mr. Cotton, “The play was fantastic! The performances from all were great, but Sara Ogden especially shined in the third act! My favorite part of the play was its message and how it really left you with a stronger appreciation for life through the up AND downs.”

I would definitely have to agree with Mr. Cotton that the play made the audience think about how life went by in a flash of one’s eyes. This play was a small performance in the Black box which the cast was able to make go off great even though they had no props. Which means that the spring play, Singing in the Rain which will be presented April 25th thru April 27th at the Miller Performing Center, will be even better then the fall production.