The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Banned Book of the Month – February

Today we talk about the most recent banned book: Gender Queer

Summary A note about Gender Queer: a memoir

Gender Queer, by Maia Kobabe, is an autobiography about the self-identification of Kobabe’s sexuality and gender identity in the form of a graphic novel. It takes place from their childhood to adulthood, intertwining stories such as crushes, fanfictions, and coming out to their family. This novel brought up the complications of self identification in the form of a heartwarming cartoon. 

About the Author

Interview With Maia Kobabe – Geeks OUT

Maia Kobabe is an American illustrator and author known for their graphic novel, Gender Queer: A Memoir, which came out in 2019, and was the most challenged book in the United States between 20201 and 2022. The novel was nominated for the Ignatz Awards and the Best Graphic Novels for Teen List from YALSA in 2019, and won the Alex Award and Stonewall Honor in 2020.  Kobabe was raised in Northern California, and is currently 35 years old. They earned a MFA in Comics at California College of the Arts and a BFA in Studio Art at Dominican University of California. Since, they have had many exhibitions around the world promoting their illustrations. 

Why was it banned? Gender Queer Most Challenged of 2021 - Intellectual Freedom Blog

The graphic novel got banned because of its LGBTQ elements and sexuality identity exploration. It became the most banned book in the U.S. The challengers say it’s not fit for school libraries or for children to read because of its sexual content. New York Times states, “The book explores the author’s discomfort with traditional gender roles, and features depictions of masturbation, period blood and confusing sexual experiences.” Because of its overwhelming backlash, the book is now tied in the top 15 banned books along with the novel “Flamer.”