The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Book Likes and Icks

Book Likes and Icks

Everyone knows the saying don’t judge a book by its cover but we all also know that we do that exact thing. In this article, I will be listing and explaining some of the things about books that make a reader avoid them or stop reading them. Also listed will be why we gravitate towards other books and what we like when it comes to them.  Most readers hate when books have real people shown on the cover of the book. This is typical for most period-type romance books. Another ick includes long chapters in books. Long chapters tend to bore the reader and also make it harder to find a stopping point when reading. Stickers on book covers are another big ick. It covers up parts of the cover and overall makes the aesthetic of the book worse.

Something that readers like is when all the books in a series are cohesive and the same size. Changing the size from book to book makes them appear bad when placed on people’s bookshelves. Keeping a common theme throughout a series just makes everything come together. Readers like it when the characters are relatable. It makes it easier to connect to them and the story as a whole.  Fonts matter of course, having a good font on a book cover makes people more inclined to pick the book up to check it out. People also just tend to gravitate towards books of their favorite color. If you ever decide to become an author keep these in mind in order to help ensure people love and want to read your books!