The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Solo Leveling Review

Possible spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn’t watched/read Solo Leveling!!!

Summary:

Main protagonist – Sung Jin-woo

This story takes place in South Korea and the main protagonist is Sung Jin-woo, who was nicknamed at the time as the weakest hunter known to mankind. At this time, the world had this thing called “gates”. They are portals to places where people could take on dungeons and monsters to become more powerful as a hunter and earn money. There’s a ranking system from E being the weakest to S being the strongest with some people being even more powerful beyond that.

Our main protagonist, Sung Jin-woo, was taking on a C Rank gate simply as support in his party considering he wasn’t very powerful and couldn’t take on higher ranks yet. Once the party finished the C Rank dungeon, they moved on to a new one, which was a lot stronger than they anticipated. It wasn’t filled to the brim with monsters but there were statues that had different designs and meanings behind it. The statues ended up attacking some of the party members, which injured most of them.. and there was no way out. Sung Jin-woo and his party followed the dungeon rules and went along with everything.

“Player” screen shown to Sung Jin-woo

The dungeon master had set up a plan where one person would have to be left behind while everyone else was able to leave the dungeon. Sung Jin-woo was left behind while the rest of his party left. The statues began attacking him and right before his heart stopped, something popped up in front of him asking if he’d like to be saved and to become a “Player”. Before his heart stopped, he accepted it then later on woke up in the hospital. Two people from the hunter association had come to evaluate and debrief Sung Jin-woo about what had happened in that dungeon and to see if he had “Reawakened”. This means being a lot stronger than before. Although to their knowledge, they don’t know what has actually happened in the dungeon.

After becoming a “Player”, Sung is allowed to level up now and become more powerful than most. Just like a video game, he can “level-up” in different things.

What I think:

At the moment there are 12 episodes released in the anime while the manga is completed! If you found the summary interesting, I highly recommend you check out either the manga or the show itself. (They’re both really good.) The art is very clean, the show has fantastic voice acting which really captures what most people believed the characters in the manga sounded like! I’m excited for more episodes to be released and I hope you guys give this anime a chance.