The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Teacher Feature: Ms.Patzwald

Brittany Ruess
Ms. Patzwald, 9th Grade English and Newspaper Teacher.

Today’s teacher feature is about Ms. Patzwald, a new teacher this year who teaches English 1 and Newspaper.

Q: Tell us a little about yourself

A: This is my third year of teaching and my first year at CCHS. I teach English 1 and I advise the school newspaper. I am currently taking master classes with Central Methodist University while teaching. I live at the Lake of the Ozarks with my grandparents and my three dogs and my cat. I also have tons of plants that I take care.

Q:  Favorite thing about teaching?

A: I would say that my favorite thing about teaching is being able to help students understand that everyone is different. I also love to be able to show students that no matter the struggles they face, they can achieve the goals that they set. It might be hard work but in the end it will be worth it.

Q: What’s the biggest struggle about teaching?

A: My biggest struggle is when kids are not willing to work for their grades. I worked twice as hard as my peers for my grades as a student so that I could receive good grades. It also upsets me when students act as if they are better then other people. No matter where a person comes from, each person deserves kindness and compassion. I will forever lose sleep over students because I will worry about them. The sad part is that some students will either never know or never understand.

Q: What made you wanna be a teacher, and was that always the plan?

A: I have wanted to be a teacher since 4th grade. My passion to be a teacher began because I had about 10 teachers that took the time to actually teach me the content that I needed. I was placed on an IEP with a learning disability when I was in 6th grade, however, I always struggled with learning different subjects when I was in school. However, those ten teachers showed me that it didn’t matter that I learned differently, just that I was able to understand the content in my own way.

Q: How would you describe you’re teaching style

A:My style is a combination of giving the assignments that are needed for the class but also I allow students to have freedom with projects and hands on activities. I think that the best way to teach is to give students the content and then let them choose how they want to show understanding of the content. This way students are able to express their interests.

Q: Something you’re excited for this year (can be school-related or not!)

A:I would have to say that I am excited about the Winter Showcase that is put on at the end of 1st semester. I have always wanted to teach at a school that has something like the event. I think it is a great to allows students to show the hard work that they have put into it. Along with that, it also benefits the school because people are able to see what teachers are working for when it comes to students.

Q: Favorite thing about CCHS?

A: I would have to say that the school is very student focused. CCHS tries it’s best to give all students what they need. All teachers are always willing to help if needed and will go to bat for the students who need it the most.
Hearing Ms. Patzwald share some information about herself was very insightful and helped me to learn a bit more about one of the new teachers this year at CCHS!