JC Reads Week

Lucia Howser

JC Reads is motivating students to delve into the world of literature with it’s spirit week spanning from Monday, March 6 to Friday, March 10. This week is full of creative dress days and penny wars that help support the JC Parks Stars.

The theme of Monday was “Champions are Creative” where students are encouraged to wear their craziest hair, socks, shoes, or tie-dye. On Tuesday, students can wear camo to show their support for our countries bravest hero’s for the theme “Champion’s are Heroic”. Wednesday is “Champions are Athletic” where we can dress accordingly in our best athletic wear. Thursday is Dress for Zoom Day (business on top, casual on bottom) which supports the theme “Champions are Motivated”. Lastly, Friday’s theme is “Champion’s Have Pride” where we can wear our school gear/colors.

The JC Reads Penny War is also going on this week. Each third period classroom has been given a container for students to fill with coins and cash. Pennies and paper bills are positive points while silver coins are negative and can be used against other classrooms. Each penny is worth 1 point and every coin/bill is scored accordingly (For example a nickel is -5 and a dollar bill is worth 100 points). Points will be tallied daily during third hour and at the end of the day Friday all coin’s will be counted and the winning class will get a PIZZA PARTY!

If you’re looking for something to do Friday night, JCPS and the Missouri River Regional Library will be hosting a JC Reads After Hours at the Missouri River Regional Library. At the event you can Hear a story, Eat cookies, get a library Card, learn about the latest  Award winner and potentially win a free book! The event will be held Friday March 10th. Participants are asked to arrive between 6:15-6:45pm and the events ends at 7:30.