The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Beastie Boys – Music History

Today we talk about the 1980s rap band called Beastie Boys.

Beastie Boys – Music History

How the Band was Formed Beastie Boys' 'Licensed to Ill' Returns to Top 20 on Billboard 200 – Billboard

The group first formed in 1981, as a hardcore rock band with members Adam Yauch, Mike Diamond, and Adam Horovitz. They called themselves the Beastie Boys, which is an acronym for “Boys Entering Anarchistic States Towards Inner Excellence.” In 1983 the boys released an experimental hip hop song which was later used without permission in a British Airways commercial, for which they sued and gained $40,000. A bountiful start, the band used the money to commit fully to their rapping careers. Beastie Boys’ first success in the evolving music industry was their 1986 License to Ill produced by Def Jam Recordings.  By then, they decided to leave the hardcore rock style behind and lean towards a more hip-hop style. The album reached number one on the charts and introduced hip-hop as a whole to the masses. 

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame A Brief Comedy History of the Beastie Boys

Beastie Boys made significant impacts on the changing musical genre, for which they have gained many awards and have been nominated more than once. They are winners of two Grammy awards including, Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for their song Intergalactic, and Best Alternative Music Performance for their album Hello Nasty. In 2007, they won Artist of the Year for the Webby Awards. And won three MTV awards for their songs Intergalactic and Sabotage. They changed not only the genre of hip-hop, but popular music as a whole. 

Famous Songs and Albums Beastie Boys Blazed Billboard Chart History – Billboard

Their most famous song, declared in the Beastie Boys Book,  is Sabotage which is between the genres of rock and hip-hop. Pushed to finish their fourth album, ‘Ill Communication,’ the boys decided to write a song completely off the script. Horovitz states in their book, “I decided it would be funny to write a song about how Mario was holding us all down, how he was trying to mess it all up, sabotaging out great works of art.” Of course, next is Intergalactic, for which it gained many awards for its ionic catchy tune and planetary execution. No Sleep Till Brooklyn was a fanatic song about the band giving thanks to their home city, Brooklyn. Still used today, the band’s songs were revolutionary to the hip-hop genre. 

Interesting Facts about the Band 

Since the band went on for thirty years, from 1981 to 2012, the group has sold 20 million records in the US and has seven platinum-selling albums. They were the third rap group to be integrated in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Beastie Boys wrote and recorded 177 songs during their career. All the members were of 14/15 years of age when they started rapping. In Star Trek Beyond the song Sabotage was used. 

Beastie Boys announce new greatest hits compilation 'Beastie Boys Music'