The Student News Site of Capital City High School

The Plume

The Plume

The Plume

Club Feature: Art Club

I recently interviewed the two head sponsors of the art club here in CCHS! Here’s what they had to say.

There are many clubs here at CCHS and sometimes it’s hard to know which one you want to join. That being said, I took the initiative and interviewed one of the sponsors of the CCHS Art Club, Mr. Allen.

What is the purpose of the art club?

“The purpose of art club is to give kids interested in art a place to come together and make friends and make art.”

What are the activities the club participates in?

“The art club participates in various art contests at CCHS and Jefferson City. We also paint the windows at St. Mary’s Hospital for the winter holidays.  Students occasionally volunteer to do face painting at events. This year, for example, a number of art club students are doing face painting at Pioneer Trail’s fall festival. Most art club students participate in the annual Sketch Day competition in the spring which is a long tradition in Jefferson City.”

What inspired you to create the club?

“I was in art club as a high school student so I have fond memories of that.”

Why should students join?

“It’s an opportunity to form bonds with other artistic students, compete in art contests, learn new art techniques or just socialize and play in your sketchbooks.  Sometimes artsy kids tend to be a little introverted, so art club can be a space for them to feel comfortable while coming out of their shells a bit. Anyone can join, so it is also a good opportunity for students who like art but cannot fit the class into their schedule to have a creative outlet.”

Talking to Mr. Allen about the art club was pretty nice. Not only that, but this teacher is quite skilled in the arts! He does lots of realism but is generally good in almost any style of drawing, which makes him perfect for the art club. Mr. Connor, the other art club sponsor, is a very friendly “jolly” man as I would describe him. He has a very open feel and it’s fun to interact with him.

If you’re not quite sure what club to join at the moment, try out the art club! Whether you’re good at art or not, it’s fun to explore new things and see where it takes you! Heck, maybe they can teach you to be an astounding artist!